With the ever growing demand for electrical energy across the world, we, as electrical engineers, are put in a state of responsibility to conserve the energy as Energy Saved is Energy Generated. In today’s world, power saving is very important and difficult. Though there are many power generation methods, it has become very difficult due to insufficient resources. So saving power is the need for our society. For that this work consists of monitoring the home appliances system through Wi-Fi based communication and also through the sensors. And the sensors used in it are Current sensor and Voltage sensor. Based on the sensor detection it works. It intimates and updates the problem on the internet by using Wi-Fi. However, this system should enable the sensor network and real time status reports. In the proposed system, the current, voltage and the power are measured and monitored continuously by a processor and the values will be sent to the webpage by the WI-FI system. In this proposed method the wastage of the electrical energy can be consumed.
The Power Monitoring and Control System (PMCS) is a fully customizable/configurable, user friendly, integrated solution for reliable and accurate energy management. The system solution centralizes acquisition data, monitoring and controlling, disturbance recording and providing a virtual window into the system for analysis and reporting through an integrated network of metering and protection devices across a single or multiple facility locations are also parts of the process.
- Measurement: Measurement is one of the important concepts in Power system Automation. The real time information about equipment is collected and displayed in the mobile or personal computer and stored in a database for further manipulations. The information collected can assist in doing network studies like load flow analysis, planning ahead and preventing disturbances in the Power network. Previously the word ‘Measurement’ referred to voltage, current and power, and the word ‘Metering’ referred to power, reactive power and energy (KWh). The different terms used because different instruments were used for these applications, now the two functions are integrated in modern devices hence the terms are used interchangeably in the text.
- Monitoring: Monitoring is specified for the maintenance of the Power System Automation. It monitors the sequence of records, status and condition of the system, maintenance information and relay settings etc.
In the existing system, Power monitoring is calculated by analog meter. There exists a lot of human error, approximate calculations, Billing isn’t proper, total voltage consumed is not known.
- Tracking historical energy use over time
- Accuracy of output is less
- Requires manpower
1) Voltage sensing through the voltage transformer and its associated components.
2) Current sensing through the current transformer and its associated components.
3) Total power consumed can also be displayed with accurate value.
4) To trip off the loads hierarchically in the event of current exceeding the set value.
5) The system can be controlled by using the Wi-Fi module which has been in-built in the Raspberry PI.
6) It can be controlled from anywhere in the globe through the mobile or by the personal computer by using the IP address.
7) We can also monitor each individual home appliances about their current status and their power consumption, also monitored in the web page.
- It is a cost efficient power monitoring system,
- Using IoT in this project is a main advantage, so we can get the status of the system at anyplace in the world
- Accuracy of output is increased
BLOCK DIAGRAM DESCRIPTION:
- Raspberry pi acts as the heart of the system
- Both sensors are connected to Raspberry pi through analog interface (ADC)
- Transformer is connected with these two sensors for giving input
- The monitored values are updated to cloud by using WI-FI
- Raspberry pi
- Current sensor
- Voltage sensor
- Programming platform: Python IDE
- Raspberry pi OS: Raspbian stretch
- Programming language: Python
 Takako Nonaka, Masato Shimano, Yuta Uesugi, and Tomohiro. Embedded Server and Client System for Home Appliances on Real-Time Operating Systems.IEEE (2010).
 Xiaoneng Gao, Pengtong Fan. Internet Access Technology Based on the Embedded Devices. IEEE (2011).
 Yong-tao ZHOU, Xiao-hu CHEN, XU-ping WANG, Chun-jiang YAO. Design of Equipment Remote Monitoring System based on Embedded Web, IEEE (2008).
 Sirsath N. S, Dhole P. S, Mohire N. P, Naik S. C & Ratnaparkhi N.S Department of Computer Engineering, 44, Vidyanagari, Parvati, Pune-411009, India University of Pune, “Home Automation using Cloud Network and Mobile Devices”
 Deepali Javale, Mohd. Mohsin, Shreerang Nandanwar “Home Automation and Security System Using Android ADK” in International Journal of Electronics Communication and Computer Technology (IJECCT) Volume 3 Issue 2 (March 2013)